If you’ve come across an Amazon Alexa before then you might realise that they are mostly used as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices, powered by the Amazon Alexa cloud software. You might be wondering, however, if you are planning on buying an Amazon Alexa device, and won’t always have access to the internet or Bluetooth, can you get any use out of it?
Does the Amazon Alexa have an AUX input/output?
Nothing is ever a simple yes or know when it comes to tech is it? Some Amazon Alexa devices have an aux input, but not all of them. You’ll find that the 3rd Generation Amazon Echo, Echo Plus and Studio all have aux inputs, however other devices including the older generation of the Amazon Alexa Echo do not have the AUX input.
Which Amazon Alexa devices have an AUX input/output?
Do you want to buy an Amazon Alexa device, but want to ensure it has an AUX input? We’ve listed all the various Echo models and whether they have AUX inputs & outputs for you below:
- Echo (1st Gen): No AUX input, but has the output
- Echo (2nd Gen): No AUX input, but has the output
- Echo (3rd Gen): Has both AUX input & output
- Echo Auto: No AUX input, but has the output
- Echo Dot: No AUX input, but has the output
- Echo Plus: Has both AUX input & output
- Echo Show: No AUX input, but has the output
- Echo Spot: No AUX input, but has the output
- Echo Studio: Has both AUX input & output
What speakers do the Amazon Alexa devices have?
Almost all the Amazon Alexa devices, with the exception of a few, have different speakers. Why is that important? Well if you are planning on mainly using your Amazon device to play music, you’ll want to ensure that you buy a model which
Psssst – it’s the Echo Studio
- Echo (1st Gen): 0.6 inch tweeter & 2.5 inch sub woofer
- Echo (2nd Gen): 0.6 inch tweeter & 2.5 inch sub woofer
- Echo (3rd Gen): 0.8 inch tweeter & 3 inch sub woofer
- Echo Auto: No speaker
- Echo Dot: 1.6 inch speaker
- Echo Plus: 0.8 inch tweeter & 3 inch sub woofer
- Echo Show: Ppassive bass radiator & 2x 10W 2-inch neodymium drivers
- Echo Spot: 1.4 inch speaker (2W)
- Echo Studio: 5.25 inch woofer, 1 inch tweet & 2 inch mid-range
What devices are compatible with the Amazon Alexa?
Worried as to whether your device is going to be compatible with the Amazon Alexa? It’s typically compatible with anything that has an aux output, but here’s a quick list:
- Any tablet or iPad
- Your MP3 player
- Smartphones that have AUX headphone jacks
- iPhone 6 or earlier (last set of iPhones to have a headphone jack at the time of writing)
Can you plug your phone into an Amazon Echo?
In order to plug your phone into your Alexa device you will simply just need a double-sided AUX cable (male & female both AUX).
Can I use the Amazon Alexa as a speaker with the AUX?
Yes, you certainly can! Using the method that we mentioned above of an AUX cable connected between your phone and the Amazon Alexa device. The AUX input should be located at the back, near the charging connection.
How do you use the AUX input on the Amazon Alexa device?
It’s simple to use the AUX input, buy a cable that has AUX on both sides, plug one into the back of your Amazon Alexa device which is usually located near the charger cable and the other into your phone or devices headphone jack.
Once both are connected, on your device, you should be able to start playing music through whatever application that you want and it should start playing through your Alexa’s speaker, crystal clear!
- 50% more powerful than the previous generation for fast streaming in Full...
- Stream more than 1.5 million movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Prime...
- Receive a 6-month subscription to MGM+, including access to thousands of...
- Watch your favorite live TV, news, and sports with subscriptions to SLING...
- Access over 300,000 free movies and TV episodes from popular ad-supported...
- Includes 120 tall kitchen garbage bags
- Individual bag dimensions: 24inches wide x 27 3/8 inches tall with 0.9 mil...
- Each trash bag has a 13-gallon capacity
- White trash bag with red drawstring closure for easy tying and carrying
- Alexa voice shopping enabled: to place your next order, just say, “Alexa,...
- Includes 500 Amazon Basics Cotton Swabs
- Double-tipped with 100% cotton
- Great for beauty, baby and home
- Perfect for touching up nail polish, lipstick, eyeliner and other cosmetics
- Ideal for makeup removal and application